Tuesday, April 20, 2010

empathy & humility...

it was a couple of days ago when this phrase came to me in ma CG (Cell Group) meeting...

"if we exalt ourselves, God will humble us BUT if we humble ourselves, God will exalt us."

and after which, i read the book of Daniel in the Good Book. i was particularly attracted to the story of King Nebuchadnezzar. i have read his story before but it was more true to life for me lately. his life centres upon arrogance, downfall, humility and of re-exaltation by God. in the words of King Nebuchadnezzar...

"36 At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble."
Daniel 4:36-37 (NIV)

ma walk with the Lord these days is rather shaky, uncertain and i am not like the person i used to be - acknowledging God in my life.

well, it was the day before yesterday actually, on that Sunday morning - i had a little of the sniffles. as the day progressed, i was already having a headache. in the afternoon, i popped 2 caplets of Panadol in ma mouth and zonked out for an hour and a half. ma headache grew in the evening and again i popped ANOTHER 2 caplets of Panadol and i retired for the day.

the following day (yesterday), that headache of mine grew to an enormous size and it was MASSIVE!! it was rather unbearable and it soon bestowed upon me a rather unfitting body temperature of a whopping 38.5 Degrees Celsius!! i was incinerating from within...i couldn't sleep it off nor could i shake it off...and i was rather worried about ma condition too. i had most of the Dengue symptoms - retro-orbital pain, muscle and joint aches, massive headache...except for nausea though...with that, i went to a clinic and got ma meds...sponged maself for most of the night and ventured into la la land till the next day (today)...

as for today, i can say that i'm still having that headache but it shrunk TREMENDOUSLY!! and i'm feeling a whole lot better. for me, i think this lil' experience has taught me to be more empathetic with those closest to me when THEY'RE suffering. 'cause i haven't been doing that lately but instead made them put up with all ma nonsensical antics. it has also humbled me in some way or the other - like in the days of King Nebuchadnezzar. and when a sickness or adversity befalls, that is all that one will be able to feel - humility. humility in knowing that there is One far greater than anyone else, the One who has the ability to give and to take, to exalt or to depose.

i thank the Lord for a speedy recovery even though i'm not FULLY recovered yet. but, it's in the process...i believe it...

No comments: